Stjernesymbol i menu


The Evolution of the Martinus Centre
 

The story of Martinus Centre, Klint

When visiting the Martinus Centre, Klint, one cannot fail to notice the distinctive rainbow-coloured flag with a star cross in the middle. The flag is a symbol of love and light, and of the spirit Martinus wanted to create in this area, which lies between Sjællands Odde and Nykøbing Sjælland:

"Here a spirit that absolutely only sees the light, the good and love in everyone must reign, for there is something absolutely divine, light and loving in every living being. Concentrating on that, dealing with this aspect of our neighbour's nature bestows great knowledge of light, lends a radiance to every mentality, and makes the sun shine from all eyes. "

Thus said Martinus on Whitsunday in 1936 as he hoisted his flag for the very first time - in pouring rain. Only two years previously there was neither a flag nor buildings. On the other hand, the location - only a few hundred metres from the beach by the Kattegat - provided lots of fresh air and a golden opportunity to create a summer school and holiday centre, where people interested in Martinus' spiritually scientific work could meet and get to know one another outside of the winter lecture season.

 
The first summer cottages were built by master carpenter P. Fixen in 1934

A holiday camp for everyone

Over twelve acres of land was acquired with financial support from Martinus' friends, and on 15th May 1935 the Kosmos Feriekoloni (Kosmos Holiday Camp) - which the Centre was called at that time - was ready to welcome guests from near and far. Seven wooden summer cottages were built during the winter, and each cottage had two bedrooms that could sleep up to four people.

The houses could be rented for 35 kroner a week or 5 kroner for a single day. Guests could participate in free study sessions and question hours. The openness that is one of the key concepts in Martinus works was also be practised in the holiday centre, as Martinus wrote in the March 1835 edition of Kosmos:

Summertime, 1940

""It is my express wish that the Centre’s guests show the same tolerance, sympathy and understanding for both those who are not interested in spiritual research as well as for those who are interested, and moreover make every possible effort to see each others’ light aspects. Absolutely only in this way can our time together in the Centre be so pure and harmonious that its atmosphere can be felt by everyone as being pleasantly restful, peaceful and quiet, and thus become the inspiring basis for everything that is noble, beautiful and loving.""

 
The guests arrive from Copenhagen, about 1938-40

 

 

 

 

Work in the vegetable patch

The development of the centre

After the first season, it was clear that extending the Kosmos Feriekoloni (Kosmos Holiday Camp) was necessary, and a further seven houses were built. But this was far from sufficient. As interest in Martinus' spiritually scientific analyses gradually grew, more and more people acquired a taste for spending the summer in scenic north-west Zealand with others who were interested in spiritual matters.

Martinus gives a lecture in the first lecture hall in Klint, 1937

During the following decades the holiday camp, despite a rather tight economy at times, grew steadily. But with voluntary work and financial assistance from friends and people interested in spiritual science, the desire for a lecture hall was fulfilled in 1937. Although it could accommodate about 100 people, it soon proved to be too small, and in 1948 a new, bigger one was put into service. Several summer cottages, pavilions and a vegetarian restaurant were added, and, for a while, the holiday centre also benefitted from fruit and vegetables from its own nursery

Klintsøgård, about 1950

In 1946 Kosmos Feriekoloni (the Kosmos Holiday Camp) changed its name to Kosmos Ferieby (the Kosmos Holiday Centre), at the same time as the Centre was divided into lots that were sold off to people who were interested in the Cause. From 1946 to 1953 the Kosmos Holiday Centre ran a boarding house in Klintsøgård, an adjacent property that has since been sold, and is now a school for physical education. Outside the holiday season the Centre and its facilities were used for a number of years by the Dansk Folkeferie (the Workers' Travel Association) as well as old-age pensioners and the disabled.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Martinus giving his last lecture in Klint, photo: Torbjörn Åkeson

 

 

 
 

Martinus in Villa Rosenberg

Gardenparty 1973, photo: Torbjörn Åkeson

Martinus himself liked to spend the summer in a modest house in the grounds of the managers’ residence, Villa Rosenberg, which the Centre took possession of in 1938. Here he could - if he were lucky - find the peace he needed to write his works during the summer. There were always many visitors who wanted to ask Martinus questions or speak to him. He was incidentally very fond of having company and often invited people to garden parties with tea and cakes in the garden at Villa Rosenberg.

Klint 1979, photo: Mischa H. Lim

He was also fond of going for long walks in the area. Even when he was rather old, his pace was quick, and could easily take the breath away from those who accompanied him. During his last years his activity was naturally more moderate; on the right we see Martinus going for a walk with Rolf Elving.

Martinus drew a large audience when he had the opportunity to be present and inaugurate the summer season’s lecture series. This tradition lasted until 22nd June 1980 when Martinus stepped up to the podium for the last time in Klint - at the age of 89 years. Nine months later Martinus left this world.

A future school in the art of living

Now, some years after Martinus' death, the number of people from around the world attending the Martinus Centre is steadily increasing attendance - not merely in the summer season but also during the one-week, two-week and weekend courses that are held during spring and autumn, and the popular New Year course. Since the 1960s, the Centre also organised international weeks, where tuition is available in English, German, Dutch and Esperanto.

Spisning på centrets vegetariske restaurant

Today the Martinus Centre in Klint has a large, beautiful green area where there are 6 pavilions and houses with rooms, 17 summer cottages and the restaurant Terrassen, which serves vegetarian and vegan dishes. The Centre’s lecture hall can accommodate 210 persons and is equipped with a wire loop and equipment for simultaneous interpretation into several languages. In addition, there is a workshop, an office building, a camping site with wooden cabins and places to pitch tents, and a very popular bathing jetty.

In 1977 Kosmos Ferieby (the Kosmos Holiday Centre) changed its name to the Martinus Centre at Martinus’ request - the idea being that the Centre will eventually develop into a university of spiritual science. But even today the Martinus Centre in Klint is more than just a school of art in living. It is also very much a place where one can experience a welcome break from the school of life.